Re: Asynchronous Append on postgres_fdw nodes. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Etsuro Fujita
Subject Re: Asynchronous Append on postgres_fdw nodes.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 9:52 PM Konstantin Knizhnik
<k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On 20.08.2020 10:36, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > Come to think of "complex", ExecAsync stuff in this patch might be
> > too-much for a short-term solution until executor overhaul, if it
> > comes shortly. (the patch of mine here as a whole is like that,
> > though..). The queueing stuff in postgres_fdw is, too.

> Looks like current implementation of asynchronous append incorrectly
> handle LIMIT clause:
>
> psql:append.sql:10: ERROR:  another command is already in progress
> CONTEXT:  remote SQL command: CLOSE c1

Thanks for the report (and patch)!

The same issue has already been noticed in [1].  I too think the cause
of the issue would be in the 0003 patch (ie, “the queueing stuff “ in
postgres_fdw), but I’m not sure it is really a good idea to have that
in postgres_fdw in the first place, because it would impact
performance negatively in some cases (see [1]).

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPmGK16E1erFV9STg8yokoewY6E-zEJtLzHUJcQx%2B3dyivCT%3DA%40mail.gmail.com