Re: Another WaitEventSet resource leakage in back branches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Etsuro Fujita
Subject Re: Another WaitEventSet resource leakage in back branches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Andres,

On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 1:29 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2024-03-22 21:15:45 +0900, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > While working on [1], I noticed $SUBJECT: WaitLatchOrSocket in back
> > branches is ignoring the possibility of failing partway through, too.
> > I added a PG_FAINALLY block to that function, like commit 555276f85.
> > Patch attached.
>
> Could you expand a bit on the concrete scenario you're worried about here?
> PG_TRY/CATCH aren't free, so adding something like this to a quite common
> path, in the back branches, without a concrete analysis as to why it's needed,
> seems a bit scary.

What I am worried about is that system calls used in
WaitLatchOrSocket, like epoll_ctl, might fail, throwing an error
(epoll_ctl might fail due to eg, ENOMEM or ENOSPC).  The probability
of such failures would be pretty low, but not zero.

This causes more problems than it solves?

Thanks for the comment!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita