[GENERAL] Removing null bytes from a json column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timothy Garnett
Subject [GENERAL] Removing null bytes from a json column
Date
List pgsql-general
Does anyone have some tips on how to deal with an existing json type column that has some null bytes ( \u0000) in it? It seems like anything I do that touches any row with a null byte just errors.  I'd love to just remove them if I could find some way to find them, but I'm having trouble even figuring out how to do that.

This error I get is always:

PG::UntranslatableCharacter: ERROR:  unsupported Unicode escape sequence
DETAIL:  \u0000 cannot be converted to text.
CONTEXT:  JSON data, line 1:
...st_name":"efxkerbs","company":"efxkerbs","email":...

Convert the column to jsonb -> errors.

Trying to find one of the offending rows:
select id from xxx where command->'args'->2->>'company' = 'efxkerbs';
 - same error on \u0000
select id from issued_crm_commands where command->'args'->2->'company' = '"efxkerbs"':json;
 - no equality operator between json
select id from issued_crm_commands where command->'args'->2->'company'::bytea = 'efxkerbs'::bytea;
 - no conversion from json to bytea

Any ideas on how to find rows with a \u0000 in the json?

Tim