Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Timothy Garnett
Subject Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we definitely need to do that ASAP.  And possibly then force
> an immediate minor release.  Bugs that eat your data are bad, and we
> have a customer hitting this completely independently of this report,
> which makes this look like more than a theoretical problem.

I defer to others on what a good timeline would be, but failing harder here
would be good.  We were somewhat lucky in discovering the issue as fast as
we did.  Post wrap, 99.9+% of the queries to our database were returning
fine without error.  We only observed the failure when accessing two
specific rows in two different tables (there were possibly more, it's a
multi-TiB db cluster).  Had we not hit those rows for a few days instead of
a few hours recovery would have been extremely difficult as rolling back to
a known good state wouldn't have really been an option.

Tim