Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Timothy Garnett
Subject Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated)
Date
List pgsql-bugs

> > - why didn't vacuum_db -a -F free up more members files?
>
> Are you sure that while the problem was developing the primary
> cluster didn't have any long-running transactions (including those
> left "idle in transaction" or prepared transactions)?  Was there a
> checkpoint following the vacuumdb -a -F run?

The vacuum_db was run after we recovered from backup (which involved
restarting the server) so at the time the vacuum_db started there were no
open transactions.  There have have been checkpoints since the vacuum_db
finished as well.

In the lead up to the problem there wouldn't have been any transactions
open more then a couple of hours (the oldest members file was over 6 months
old).

Tim