Re: Why does slony use a cursor? Anyone know? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Filip Rembiałkowski
Subject Re: Why does slony use a cursor? Anyone know?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas@optionshouse.com> wrote:
Hey everyone,

Frankly, I'm shocked at what I just found.

We did a delete last night of a few million rows, and come back this morning to find that slony is 9-hours behind. After some investigation, it became apparent that slony opens up a cursor and orders it by the log_actionseq column. Then it fetches 500 rows, and closes the cursor. So it's fetching several million rows into a cursor, to fetch 500, and then throw the rest away.

Why do you assume that opening a cursor with ORDER BY is equivalent to fetching all rows? It is not.

Just curious what made you think so,

thanks