Questions: How to configure PostgreSQL at the beginning .... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Pasterak
Subject Questions: How to configure PostgreSQL at the beginning ....
Date
Re: Questions: How to configure PostgreSQL at the beginning ....  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Dear Sir or Madam,

I have downloaded and installed the latest PostgreSQL version V9.2 to my
Windows 7 OS PC.
I want to have it running on my PC, as local host.

Now I am facing some problems.

1.) I do not know, how to fill in the properties tab for the server, as
name, host (what shall be host, shall
I put there localhost or 127.0.0.1?), service field, Maintenance DB field
(can it be named as postgres?)?
And, what shall I put as user name? And password? Is there something
predefined? Or how and where shall I change it?
In which conf file?
It does not accept what I add there ....

I want to have it as simple as possible, I want to connect my PHP scripts
with the PostgreSQL DB on my PC.

2.) Via the psql console, I can not login myself .... I want to create
tables etc., but I need to overcome the connection and
login procedure and again, I do not know what to put there, as it does not
accept what I enter there ...

Server [localhost]: What to put here?
Database [postgres]: What to put here?
Port [5432]: What to put here?
Username [postgres]: What to put here?
Password: What to put here?

The message returned is for example this:
psql: could not translate host name "Tomas" to address: Unknown server error
Press any key to continue ...

3.) There are also some .conf files, like postgresql.conf, pg_hba.conf,
pgpass.conf. What shall I put there?
I played with that, but it does not work, I want to have it simple.

Do you have any examples of configuration, what shall I put everywhere, so
that it works?

Thank you very much in advance
Best regards
Tomas