Re: Change server encoding after the fact - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Cody Caughlan
Subject Re: Change server encoding after the fact
Date
List pgsql-general
Its a Rails app and I do have:

  encoding: utf8

Set in my DB configuration.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Cody Caughlan <toolbag@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Cody Caughlan <toolbag@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Please see below.
>> >
>> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Scott Marlowe
>> > <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>

>> > Ok, I see what you mean. This would create a new DB with the proper
>> > encoding. Which is "fine", and probably what I will do. I guess I see an
>> > ideal scenario being one where we permanently convert the template
>> > encoding
>> > to UTF8 so going forward I dont have to worry about forgetting to adding
>> > the
>> > encoding= 'UTF8' for every new DB I create.
>>
>> Ah ok.  The way I fix that is this:
>>
>> update pg_database set datistemplate = false where datname='template1';
>> drop database template1;
>> create database template1 template template0 encoding 'UTF8';
>>
>> But your way would likely work too.

>> > You're right, I had -f when I needed -t. I tried it again with the same
>> > error:
>> > $ iconv -t utf-8 foo.sql > utf.sql
>> > iconv: illegal input sequence at position 2512661
>>
>> Any idea waht the actual encoding of your source database is?
>> SQL_ASCII is basically not really ascii, more like anything goes.
>

> How would I find this? pg_database says my DB is SQL_ASCII.
> "show all" says
> client_encoding = SQL_ASCII
> server_encoding = SQL_ASCII

It would have been set by the application accessing postgresql and
inserting the data.  I.e. was it a windows app using a typical windows
encoding?  etc.