Re: how do I grant select to one user for all tables in a DB? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Angelico
Subject Re: how do I grant select to one user for all tables in a DB?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> V9.1.5 on linux
> User "select" created (yup, that's right, they want the user name to be
> "select".  Guess what ptivs it is to have! Don't kill the messanger :-) )
>
> postgres=# grant select on all tables in schema sde to "select";
>
> ERROR:  schema "sde" does not exist
>
> postgres=# \l
>
>                               List of databases

Your immediate problem is that sde is a database, not a schema.
They're different things, despite MySQL conflating the terms.

What you're trying to do is a perfectly reasonable way to create a
backup user. And it's definitely possible; check out ALTER DEFAULT
PRIVILEGES:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-alterdefaultprivileges.html

I think that's what you need there!

ChrisA