Re: Plug-pull testing worked, diskchecker.pl failed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Angelico
Subject Re: Plug-pull testing worked, diskchecker.pl failed
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> What did you do to look for corruption?  That PosgreSQL succeeds at
> going through crash-recovery and then starting up is not a good
> indicator that there is no corruption.

I fired up Postgres and looked at the logs for any signs of failure.

> Did you do something like compute the aggregates on pgbench_history
> and compare those aggregates to the balances in the other 3 tables?

No, didn't do that. My next check will be done over the network
(similar to diskchecker), with a script that fires off requests, waits
for them to be confirmed committed, and then records a local copy, and
will check that local copy once the server's back up again. That'll
tell me if transactions are being lost.

I'm kinda feeling my way in the dark here. Will check out the
aggregates on pgbench_history when I get to work today; thanks for the
tip!

ChrisA