Re: Patch: Some more state codes - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Bryan Montgomery
Subject Re: Patch: Some more state codes
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
FWIW - I'm inclined to agree with Maciek. If you are not worried about portability why not use the best available features of Postgres? From Java, the obvious way would be through JDBC.

I imagine there are a lot of people (rightly or wrongly is too philosophical) writing code to specific databases.

Bryan.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda@truviso.com> wrote:
> I guess I was not expecting users trying to write portable JDBC code to
> write code that referred to PG specific classes.  Do other people do this?

Well, not if you're striving for portable code, but for what it's
worth, there are frequently good reasons to ignore portability
completely and just use the JDBC driver as a way to access PostgreSQL
from Java. In that case, having access to as many PostgreSQL-specific
features / options / error states as possible can be very handy.

---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com