Re: initdb error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Amitabh Kant
Subject Re: initdb error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
David Noel <david.i.noel@gmail.com> writes:
> I've tried initdb directly:
> initdb -D /zdb/pgsql/data
> ...and still seem to wind up with the error:
> creating template1 database in /zdb/pgsql/data/base/1 ... FATAL:
> could not open file "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000001" (log file 0,
> segment 1): No such file or directory

Hm, that eliminates my first theory that the rc.d script is using
initdb's --xlogdir switch to try to put pg_xlog someplace that doesn't
exist on your system.  But it seems like this must be some variant of
that.  A simple permissions problem is not very credible, because at
this point initdb has successfully made the data directory and a bunch
of files within it already.

You could get more information by using the --noclean switch to prevent
removal of the datadir after failure, and then having a look at the
debris.  Is there a pg_xlog subdirectory inside /zdb/pgsql/data, and if
so what permissions has it got?  Perhaps it is not a directory, but a
symlink to somewhere else?

                        regards, tom lane

Tom

rc.d script  doesn't seem to be using --xlogdir anywhere.  I have uploaded the script here:

Amitabh