Recovering database from crashed HD (bad sectors) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Amitabh Kant
Subject Recovering database from crashed HD (bad sectors)
Date
Re: Recovering database from crashed HD (bad sectors)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hi

A development box hard disk failed which was running a PG instance with multiple databases on it.  I got the data recovered with some bad sector errors. Ran another instance of PG (same version), and was to able to take dump (using pg_dump) of all but one database. For one database I am getting the following error:

pg_dump -Fc alpha_45 > alpha_45.dump
pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "alpha_45" failed: FATAL:  could not open file "base/525035/11678": No such file or directory

These are the only two files in the directory similar to the one above:
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/525035/11678_fsm
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/525035/11678_vm

Is there any hope of recovering this DB, or should I start looking into restoring from old backups? Data loss is not a concern, I just would like to know if I should even try working on it. I looked into this page http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/runtime-config-developer.html, and tried using "zero_damaged_pages = on" in postgresql.conf, but it was of no help.

OS: FreeBSD 9.3
PG Version: 9.1

With regards

Amitabh