Re: locate DB corruption - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Peticolas
Subject Re: locate DB corruption
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 5:09 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 09/01/2018 04:45 PM, Dave Peticolas wrote:

> Well restoring from a backup of the primary does seem to have fixed the
> issue with the corrupt table.

Pretty sure it was not that the table was corrupt but that transaction
information was missing from pg_clog.

In a previous post you mentioned you ran tar to do the snapshot of
$PG_DATA.

Was there any error when tar ran the backup that caused you problems?

Well the interesting thing about that is that although the bad table was originally discovered in a DB restored from a snapshot, I subsequently discovered it in the real-time clone of the primary from which the backups are made. So somehow the clone's table became corrupted. The same table was not corrupt on the primary, but I have discovered an error on the primary -- it's in the thread I posted today. These events seem correlated in time, I'll have to mine the logs some more.