Re: Health warning: - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Zahid Rahman
Subject Re: Health warning:
Date
Re: Health warning:  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-novice
You have to set to trust from peer the first time you download and install postgres.
Because there is no default password.
After you create a password.
Then you can reset from trust.

You also have to reboot your computer each time you change etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf.
at the very least restart the database.

With the big O you get a default  username: Scott.
Password:  tiger

Many people forget to reset the default password on the big O. user Scott has admin privileges.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 21:24 Stephen Frost, <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> I know a database whose name begins with O that does this.

That doesn't make it a good idea.

> the user types:
> *psql  -U postgres *
>
> response:
> *PROBLEM: psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  Peer
> authentication failed for user "postgres"*

This indicates that the user you're connecting as doesn't have
permission to log into the database as the 'postgres' user.

> *SOLUTION: change "local  all all  peer" in file
> /etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf *
> *to "local  all all  trust".create password then change  back.*

Using "trust" there actually means that you're able to log into the
database as any user and is terribly insecure.

Thanks,

Stephen