postgres 12 password failure port 5433 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Zahid Rahman
Subject postgres 12 password failure port 5433
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,
I have postgres 10 running on 5432 and pgadmin is connecting  ok.

 I have just installed postgres 12 on ubuntu 18.04  using apt-get install
I have the following  success messages (see below)
I have verified that I have a database running at 5433 programmatically.
The PGADMIN4 "postgres admin tool" is giving an error "UNAUTHORISED message (see below)

WHEN i TRY TO LOGIN USING  PSQL CONSOLE using command line

psql -U postgres  -p 5433 -h localhost

I get an password  error message psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"

FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"

Unauthorized

The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Success. You can now start the database server using:
pg_ctlcluster 12 main start

Ver Cluster Port Status Owner    Data directory              Log file
12  main    5433 down   postgres /var/lib/postgresql/12/main /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-12-main.log