Re: initdb - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Scott Watson
Subject Re: initdb
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hi Tom,

I was running initdb command when calling the postgresql96-setup command.    Trying to run this as the user postgres failed.

/usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/postgresql96-setup initdb

The database was created under /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data

thanks
Scott.

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 4:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> So I was trying to create a new db with initdb.  I tried to run this with
> the postgres user after installing the server rpm and it failed with runuser
> may not be run as non-root users.   So then for fun I tried to run init db
> as the root user which should have failed but instead it just reported
> initializing database ... OK

hmm, worksforme:

$ sudo initdb -D someplace
initdb: cannot be run as root
Please log in (using, e.g., "su") as the (unprivileged) user that will
own the server process.

Were you actually running initdb directly, or some script that perhaps
sudo'd internally?

                        regards, tom lane