Re: How to change the pgsql source code and build it?? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shreesha
Subject Re: How to change the pgsql source code and build it??
Date
List pgsql-hackers
@Craig Ringer, I am afraid I didn't understand your solution.
The scenario I am having is a system which has only user as root. I have all the permissions and privileges of the system as the user is root. But pgsql doesn't allow initdb to be executed by root.
I think the solution you proposed gives root permissions for a non-root user.
But I believe, I am looking forward for the exact opposite of it. In other words, a possible work around for a root user to execute certain executable(s) as an unprivileged user.

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 06/13/2014 07:08 AM, Shreesha wrote:
> I need to initialize the db as the root and start the database server

Assuming there's no way around doing this (it's generally not a good
idea), you can just use the simple program 'fakeroot'.

This program changes the return values from system calls via LD_PRELOAD,
so PostgreSQL thinks that the user it is running as isn't root. It's
commonly used in testing and packaging systems.

http://man.he.net/man1/fakeroot

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

~Shreesha.