Re: Search path in connection string - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Valentine Gogichashvili
Subject Re: Search path in connection string
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Julien Demoor <jdemoor@gmail.com> wrote:
2012/7/31 Valentine Gogichashvili <valgog@gmail.com>
Hello Julien,

As normally you would always use a connection pool (like BoneCP or c3p0), you can easily configure an InitSQL property to initialize your connection as needed.

Note that JDBC driver for now does not support search_path at all, as the OID cache lookup is not taking it into an account. So prepare for some crazy problems when for example returning a type that exists in several schemas with the same name.

With best regards,

-- Valentine

Hello Valentine,

I'll see if connection pools are available with BIRT (I'm using the integrated web viewer so I can't go around its limitations).

Thanks for the tip regarding the support for the search_path. Should I expect issues if the types that share a name across schemas have the same definition?

Regards,
Julien

Hello Julien,

You can always write a simple wrapper, that will override getConnection() and preinizialize there as needed.

The problem is now, that OID cache for types does not take into an account search_path at all. So if you have 2 types, that have the same name in 2 different schemas, one of them will be taken practically randomly, and if you do not have luck, it will take the wrong one and postgres will throw a crazy exception when the driver will try to use the wrong OID when passing this type as a parameter for example.

But it is very easy to patch the driver in case you will get such a problem. I suggested one quick-n-dirty patch once, and filed a bug report without a patch... (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2011-03/msg00007.phphttp://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2011-12/msg00083.phpbut both messages had been ignored unfortunately.

You can have a look in wich case I am getting a problem there here: http://tech.valgog.com/2012/01/schema-based-versioning-and-deployment.html

Regards,

-- Valentin