Re: Odd out of memory problem. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hitoshi Harada
Subject Re: Odd out of memory problem.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On tis, 2012-03-27 at 00:53 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
>> Hm. So my original plan was dependent on adding the state-merge
>> function we've talked about in the past. Not all aggregate functions
>> necessarily can support such a function but I think all or nearly all
>> the builtin aggregates can. Certainly min,max, count, sum, avg,
>> stddev, array_agg can which are most of what people do. That would be
>> a function which can take two state variables and produce a new state
>> variable.
>
> This information could also be useful to have in PL/Proxy (or similar
> FDWs) to be able to integrate aggregate computation into the language.
> Currently, you always have to do the state merging yourself.

I don't know exactly how PL/Proxy or pgpool accomplish the multi-phase
aggregate, but in theory the proposal above is state-merge function,
so it doesn't apply to general aggregate results that passed through
the final function.  Of course some functions that don't have final
functions are ok to call state-merge function on the results.

Thanks,
--
Hitoshi Harada