Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vineet Deodhar
Subject Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:

AFAIK in most situations alignment requirements will mean you won't gain any space in those situations anyway.

I would be truly amazed if you saw more than something like a 1% difference in size due to this; it'll be *massively* outweighed by all the other differences. You're optimising prematurely. See if it's a problem in practice, and if it is look into using a custom data type (warning: lots of work) or some other approach.
--
Craig Ringer

OK.
As per your advise, let me put smallint into practice and analyze the storage requirement.
Thanks a lot.

-- Vineet
--
Best regards,

Vineet Deodhar

0 9270012422    ( Sales)
0 9420 6767 41 / 0 844 6268 488  (Service)
0233-2300136   (Back-Office)