Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vineet Deodhar
Subject Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:26 AM, Ondrej Ivanič <ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 10 October 2012 19:47, Vineet Deodhar <vineet.deodhar@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) Can I simulate MySQL's TINYINT data-type (using maybe the custom data
> type or something else)

What do you exactly mean? Do you care about storage requirements or
constraints? The smallest numeric type in postgres is smallint: range
is +/- 32K and you need two bytes. You can use check constraint to
restrict the range (postgres doesn't have signed / unsigned types):

create table T (
  tint_signed smallint check ( tint_signed >= -128 and tint_signed =< 127 ),
  tint_unsigned smallint check ( tint_unsigned >= 0 and tint_unsigned =< 255 )
)

Yes. Considering the storage requirements , I am looking for TINYINT kind of data type.

if you care about storage then "char" (yes, with quotes) might be the
right type for you.
--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com)

If I use "char" for numeric field, would it be possible to do numeric operations comparisons such as max(tint_unsigned) ?

--- Vineet