About the tps explanation of pgbench, please help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yanrui Hu
Subject About the tps explanation of pgbench, please help
Date
Re: About the tps explanation of pgbench, please help  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
I am working on a evaluation to put db client outside the datacenter and to know how the network impact on the business.
After several round of testing, I have a question regarding to the two tps result in stress output.

Test A:
Client and DB server exist in same AWS datacenter.
transaction type: Custom query
scaling factor: 500
query mode: simple
number of clients: 25
number of threads: 25
duration: 600 s
number of transactions actually processed: 54502

Test B:
Client and DB server exist in different AWS datacenter (west and east).
transaction type: Custom query
scaling factor: 500
query mode: simple
number of clients: 25
number of threads: 25
duration: 600 s
number of transactions actually processed: 13966

Its obviously that both tps become lower if client and server do not exist in same datacetner since the network connection have more latency.
But I can not explain why the tps that excluding connections establishing is changed so much.
For my understanding, tps excluding connections establishing get rid of the time that create socket cost. That means in above two test cases(only network different), the tps excluding connections establishing should be very close, right? Because the database is same and capability is same only network latency is different.

--
Best Regards,

Yanrui Hu (Ray)