Re: Get memory contexts of an arbitrary backend process - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kasahara Tatsuhito
Subject Re: Get memory contexts of an arbitrary backend process
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 3:38 PM torikoshia <torikoshia@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> >> - Currently, "the signal transmission for dumping memory
> >> information"
> >> and "the read & output of dump information "
> >> are on the same interface, but I think it would be better to
> >> separate them.
> >> How about providing the following three types of functions for
> >> users?
> >> - send a signal to specified pid
> >> - check the status of the signal sent and received
> >> - read the dumped information
>
> Is this for future extensibility to make it possible to get
> other information like the current execution plan which was
> suggested by Pavel?
Yes, but it's not only for future expansion, but also for the
usability and the stability of this feature.
For example, if you want to read one dumped file multiple times and analyze it,
you will want the ability to just read the dump.
Moreover, when it takes a long time from the receive the signal to the
dump output,
or the dump output itself takes a long time, users can investigate
where it takes time
if each process is separated.

> If so, I agree with considering extensibility, but I'm not
> sure it's necessary whether providing these types of
> functions for 'users'.
Of course, it is possible and may be necessary to provide a wrapped
sequence of processes
from sending a signal to reading  dump files.
But IMO, some users would like to perform the signal transmission,
state management and
dump file reading processes separately.

Best regards,

--