Re: WARNING: could not flush dirty data: Function not implemented - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Austin Drenski
Subject Re: WARNING: could not flush dirty data: Function not implemented
Date
List pgsql-general
Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@bmrb.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Me too, but this is purely for learning and I am much more use to Linux stack then ... gasp Windows :-)
>>
>> Hmm, so maybe you should install Ubuntu as the native O/S, and when
>> you need Windows, run it inside a VM?
>
> Between windows 10 and ubuntu 18.04, I would take a really close look at freebsd myself. Or at least alpine...

As a developer, I regularly work with PostgreSQL in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). In using it for sandboxing and testing, the only notable idiosyncrasy that I have encountered is the appearance of these warnings on startup.

Unfortunately, workstation OS is not always a choice, but WSL has so far offered a productive (and built-in!) option for running Linux-based tools on Windows.

I can't imagine running a production server from WSL, but it is a refreshingly simple way to spin up local dev databases. It would be great to see the community take an interest in supporting PostgreSQL in WSL, if only in the context of its use as a development tool.

--
Austin Drenski