Re: Daylight saving time rules being applied to DateTimes that don't have a timezone - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Nathan Kendall
Subject Re: Daylight saving time rules being applied to DateTimes that don't have a timezone
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 16/11/2016, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/2016 01:09 PM, Nathan Kendall wrote:
>
> Ccing list

>>> Does the above mean the client you are entering the data on is in New
>>> York?
>>
>> No, I only mentioned New York as a reference point.  The client and
>> server operating systems are both running on the Atlantic Time.  The
>> significance of 2016-03-13 is that daylight saving time begins at 2am
>> on the second Sunday of March in most of North America.
>
> Yeah,  03/13/2016 2:00:00 and 03/13/2016 3:00:00 are the same time:
>
> test[5432]=# set timezone = 'America/Halifax';
> SET
> test[5432]=# select '03/13/2016 2:00:00'::timestamptz at time zone 'utc';
>        timezone
> ---------------------
>   2016-03-13 06:00:00
> (1 row)
>
> test[5432]=# select '03/13/2016 3:00:00'::timestamptz at time zone 'utc';
>        timezone
> ---------------------
>   2016-03-13 06:00:00
> (1 row)
>
> So to be strictly accurate the PK constraint error is actually valid.
> The question remains though, what caused the change in behavior. Before
> I forget:
>
> What is the TimeZone set to in postgresql.conf?

postgresql.conf has timezone = 'Canada/Atlantic'

You conducted your test with data type timestamptz.  I am working with
columns of type timestamp *without* time zone because I have to
support data sources which do not obey daylight saving time rules.
When I key in INSERT statements into pgAdmin, it has no trouble with
accepting both '2016-03-13 02:00' and '2016-03-13 03:00', without
shifting the time by an hour or producing a PK violation, because the
column in the database table is defined as timestamp without time
zone.