Re: pgsql: Reserve the "pg_" namespace for roles - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pgsql: Reserve the "pg_" namespace for roles
Date
List pgsql-committers
Bruce,

On Friday, April 29, 2016, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Fri, Apr  8, 2016 at 08:56:34PM +0000, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Reserve the "pg_" namespace for roles
>
> This will prevent users from creating roles which begin with "pg_" and
> will check for those roles before allowing an upgrade using pg_upgrade.
>
> This will allow for default roles to be provided at initdb time.

Nice you added the check to pg_upgrade, but I assume a pg_dumpall
restore is going to fail pretty badly, e.g. any pg_* object assignment
will fail.  I guess there isn't much we can do to fix that.

The pg_dumpall will work but will throw a warning. A restore will fail to recreate any pg_* roles and there could be follow-on errors from that, of course.

I had pg_dumpall throw an error initially, but based on discussion that was considered too harsh.

Thanks!

Stephen