Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE
Date
Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE
Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 18:11 Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 07, 2022 at 05:13:44PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I disagree that we should put the onus for addressing this on the next
> person who wants to add bits and just willfully use up the last of them
> right now for what strikes me, at least, as a relatively marginal use
> case.  If we had plenty of bits then, sure, let's use a couple of for
> this, but that isn't currently the case.  If you want this feature then
> the onus is on you to do the legwork to make it such that we have plenty
> of bits.

FWIW what I really want is the new predefined roles.  I received feedback
upthread that it might also make sense to give people more fine-grained
control, so I implemented that.  And now you're telling me that I need to
redesign the ACL system.  :)

Calling this a redesign is over-stating things, imv … and I’d much rather have the per-relation granularity than predefined roles for this, so there is that to consider too, perhaps.

I'm happy to give that project a try given there is agreement on the
direction and general interest in the patches.  From the previous
discussion, it sounds like we want to first use a distinct set of bits for
each catalog table.  Is that what I should proceed with?

Yes, that seems to be the consensus among those involved in this thread thus far.  Basically, I imagine this involves passing around the object type along with the acl info and then using that to check the bits and such.  I doubt it’s worth inventing a new structure to combine the two … but that’s just gut feeling and you may find it does make sense to once you get into it.

Thanks!

Stephen