Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 17:02 Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2022-03-16 18:50:23 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> First, let's be clear- we aren't actually talking about custom or
> pluggable authentication here, at least when it comes to PG as a
> project.  For it to actually be pluggable, it needs to be supported on
> both the client side and the server side, not just the server side.
>
> That this keeps getting swept under the carpet makes me feel like this
> isn't actually an argument about the best way to move the PG project
> forward but rather has another aim.

This is insulting and unjustified. IMO completely inappropriate for the list /
community. I've also brought this up privately, but I thought it important to
state so publically.

I am concerned.

I don’t intend to insult you or anyone else on this thread.  I’m sorry.

This isn’t the first time I asked about this on this thread, yet the question about why this is only being discussed as backend changes, and with the only goal seeming to be to have a backend loadable module, without anything on the client side for something that’s clearly both a server and client side concern, seems to just be ignored, which make me feel like my comments and the concerns that I raise aren’t being appreciated.

I had drafted a response to your private email to me but hadn’t wanted to send it without going over it again after taking time to be sure I had cooled down and was being level-headed in my response.

I am sorry.  I am still concerned.

Thanks,

Stephen