Re: warn if GUC set to an invalid shared library - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Maciek Sakrejda
Subject Re: warn if GUC set to an invalid shared library
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 05:24:58PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > It caused no issue when I changed:
> >
> >                         /* Check that it's acceptable for the indicated parameter */
> >                         if (!parse_and_validate_value(record, name, value,
> > -                                                     PGC_S_FILE, ERROR,
> > +                                                     PGC_S_TEST, ERROR,
> >                                                       &newval, &newextra))
> >
> > I'm not sure where to go from here.
>
> I'm hoping for some guidance ; this simple change may be naive, but I'm not
> sure what a wider change would look like.

I assume you mean guidance on implementation details here, and not on
design. I still think this is a useful patch and I'd be happy to
review and try out future iterations, but I don't have any useful
input here.

Also, for what it's worth, I think requiring the libraries to be in
place before running ALTER SYSTEM does not really seem that onerous. I
can't really think of use cases it precludes.

Thanks,
Maciek