Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Maciek Sakrejda
Subject Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 10:50 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sometimes I question the sanity of the whole thing.  Considering
> cfbot's original "zero-effort CI" goal (or I guess "zero-extra-effort"
> would be better), I was curious about what other projects had the same
> idea, or whether we're really just starting at the "wrong end", and
> came up with:
>
> https://github.com/getpatchwork/patchwork
> http://vger.kernel.org/bpfconf2022_material/lsfmmbpf2022-bpf-ci.pdf
> <-- example user
> https://github.com/patchew-project/patchew
>
> Actually cfbot requires more effort than those, because it's driven
> first by Commitfest app registration.  Those projects are extremists
> IIUC: just write to a mailing list, no other bureaucracy at all (at
> least for most participants, presumably administrators can adjust the
> status in some database when things go wrong?).  We're actually
> halfway to Gitlab et al already, with a web account and interaction
> required to start the process of submitting a patch for consideration.
> What I'm less clear on is who else has come up with the "bitrot" test
> idea, either at the mailing list or web extremist ends of the scale.
> Those are also generic tools, and cfbot obviously knows lots of things
> about PostgreSQL, like the "highlights" and probably more things I'm
> forgetting.

For what it's worth, a few years before cfbot, I had privately
attempted a similar idea for Postgres [1]. The project here is
basically a very simple API and infrastructure for running builds and
make check. A previous version [2] subscribed to the mailing lists and
used Travis CI (and accidentally spammed some Postgres committers
[3]). The project petered out as my work responsibilities shifted (and
to be honest, after I felt sheepish about the spamming).

I think cfbot is way, way ahead of where my project got at this point.
But since you asked about other similar projects, I'm happy to discuss
further if it's helpful to bounce ideas off someone who's thought
about the same problem (though not for a while now, I admit).

Thanks,
Maciek

[1]: https://github.com/msakrejda/pg-quilter
[2]: