Re: pg_stat_bgwriter.buffers_backend is pretty meaningless (and more?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Maciek Sakrejda
Subject Re: pg_stat_bgwriter.buffers_backend is pretty meaningless (and more?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 10:38 AM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Attached is v47.

I missed a couple of versions, but I think the docs are clearer now.
I'm torn on losing some of the detail, but overall I do think it's a
good trade-off. Moving some details out to after the table does keep
the bulk of the view documentation more readable, and the "inform
database tuning" part is great. I really like the idea of a separate
Interpreting Statistics section, but for now this works.

>+          <literal>vacuum</literal>: I/O operations performed outside of shared
>+          buffers while vacuuming and analyzing permanent relations.

Why only permanent relations? Are temporary relations treated
differently? I imagine if someone has a temp-table-heavy workload that
requires regularly vacuuming and analyzing those relations, this point
may be confusing without some additional explanation.

Other than that, this looks great.

Thanks,
Maciek