Re: validate synatax - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Kroon
Subject Re: validate synatax
Date
List pgsql-general
>Why do you want to do that?
I want to validate the SQL syntax and preferably in the browser using some kind of linter.

>You can always run it inside transaction and rollback at the end.
Sounds dangerous and will make the server very active because it is executing the SQL.

Yes, the SQL should be tested even if the syntax is correct.

So 2 things to look for:
- Syntax validator
- Check query logic, like does the table exist

Best,
Peter

2013/12/10 Szymon Guz <mabewlun@gmail.com>

On 10 December 2013 22:40, Peter Kroon <plakroon@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

How can I validate any query on PostgreSQL without executing the sql.
I was able with EXPLAIN to find some errors. However this only worked with a SELECT statement. When i tried to create a TABLE it would not run.
I do not wish to install external packages. Preferably use only default present features.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Best,
Peter

Why do you want to do that? Maybe just test it, there can be many more problems then just not executing query, the query logic could be bad, even if the syntax is correct. You can always run it inside transaction and rollback at the end.

regards,
Szymon