Re: What does "[backends] should seldom or never need to wait for a write to occur" mean? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Chris Wilson
Subject Re: What does "[backends] should seldom or never need to wait for a write to occur" mean?
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hi Bruce,

Thanks, but I think it's more ambiguous than that. I was trying to discover how the bgwriter works in order to tune it successfully (to identify the correct tuning objectives). It's not documented anywhere else in the official docs that I can find, so this is the canonical place to learn about it. Quoting again for context:

There is a separate server process called the background writer, whose function is to issue writes of “dirty” (new or modified) shared buffers. It writes shared buffers so server processes handling user queries seldom or never need to wait for a write to occur.

These sentences are (I think) supposed to explain why we have a bgwriter at all, and how it works (why it does what it does) but they fail miserably due to being unclear and lacking vital information.

The sentence as it stands is ambiguous because it says "need to wait for a write to occur". The ambiguities are:
  • "need to wait", i.e. not just that a write will occur, but that it will be slow.
  • This could also be interpreted conditionally, as in "if the backend needs to write, then it will be slow."
  • "write to occur": who will do the writing? Does the backend need to wait for the bgwriter or someone else to write back the page?
So there are at least four possible readings of this (of what will happen if the bgwriter is not working well), only one of which is correct:
  • backends must do the write() themselves (increasing buffers_backend; I think this is the correct interpretation).
  • backends must do the fsync() themselves (i.e. wait for the bytes to hit the disk, increasing buffers_backend_fsync).
  • if backends must write, then the writes will be slow (we know that this can happen, because the next sentence says that the bgwriter increases net overall I/O load, but we don't measure write stalls in Postgres itself).
  • backends must wait for another process to do the write (this doesn't actually happen, so of course there are no stats for it in Postgres).
This is without even saying that the write in question (by the backend) is to clean a dirty buffer. One could perhaps guess that from the context, but one could also make incorrect assumptions (as listed above). I think the official documentation should be clear and plain and helpful (explanatory), and it wouldn't take much to achieve that, just a few words.

I don't understand why you say that "The point is to say that writes rarely happen in the foreground. With your wording, there could be other cases where writes happen in the foreground, and the point is they rarely happen." We are clearly in the context of explaining what the bgwriter does and why (or rather trying to explain, and failing). Although backends could of course write in other circumstances, the bgwriter is not expected to have any direct effect on that (and might even slow them down by increasing the overall I/O load).

Also, I think "the point is they rarely happen" only if the bgwriter is configured correctly, and determining whether it is (doing its job properly) is exactly what brought me to this part of the docs.

I think your proposed patch improves the documentation very slightly, by making it slightly clearer that the write is to clean a dirty buffer, but does not address the rest of the ambiguity in the statement.

I still believe that my original proposed change, to "This reduces the chances that a backend needing an empty buffer must [itself] write a dirty one back to disk before evicting it" (with one extra word added), resolves the ambiguity and also more clearly and directly focuses it on what the bgwriter does and why, making it better documentation. It might be incorrect if my understanding is incorrect - is it?

Thanks, Chris.

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 16:08, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Mon, Nov  9, 2020 at 08:36:32PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Nov  3, 2020 at 06:11:21PM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I did some more research and found this explanation in a presentation by
> > 2ndQuadrant:
> >

> >     When a process wants a buffer, it asks BufferAlloc for the file/block. If
> >     the block is already cached, it gets pinned and then returned. Otherwise, a
> >     new buffer must be found to hold this data. If there are no buffers free
> >     (there usually aren’t) BufferAlloc selects a buffer to evict to make space
> >     for the new one. If that page is dirty, it is written out to disk. This can
> >     cause the backend trying to allocate that buffer to block as it waits for
> >     that write I/O to complete.
> >

> > So it seems that both reads and writes can potentially have to wait for I/O.
> > And the bgwriter reduces the risk of hitting a dirty page and needing to write
> > it before evicting.
> >
> > So perhaps the documentation should say:
> >
> > "There is a separate server process called the background writer, whose
> > function is to issue writes of “dirty” (new or modified) shared buffers.
> > This reduces the chances that a backend needing an empty buffer must write a
> > dirty one back to disk before evicting it."
>
> I think this would be a step backward.  The point is to say that writes
> rarely happen in the foreground, not to explain when writes do happen.
> With your wording, there could be other cases where writes happen in the
> foreground, and the point is they rarely happen.

I thought some more about this, and it seems the problem really is that
"wait for a write" is unclear, as you said.  This patch fixes it by
referencing "wait for such writes".

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com