Re: Why are there no inequality scans for ctid? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Atri Sharma
Subject Re: Why are there no inequality scans for ctid?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
<depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> while working on removing bloat from some table, I had to use ltos of
> logic simply because there are no (idnexable) inequality scans for
> ctids.
>
> Is it because just noone thought about adding them, or are there some
> more fundamental issues?
>
> I could imagine that things like:
>
> select * from table where ctid @ '123' could return all rows from 123rd
> page, or I could:
> select * from table where ctid >= '(123,0)' and ctid < '(124,0)';
>
> Having such operators work would greatly improve bloat reducing
> options.

How would this be helpful for general use cases? Querying on tids on a
specific page doesn't seem too useful for any other case than the one
you mentioned above, and IMHO it seems to be the job of vacuum.

I may be missing something here though.

Regards,
Atri

--