Re: stats for network traffic WIP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Atri Sharma
Subject Re: stats for network traffic WIP
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 12/10/13, 5:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Having said that, I can't get very excited about this feature anyway,
>> so I'm fine with rejecting the patch.  I'm not sure that enough people
>> care to justify any added overhead at all.  The long and the short of
>> it is that network traffic generally is what it is, for any given query
>> workload, and so it's not clear what's the point of counting it.
>
> Also, if we add this, the next guy is going to want to add CPU
> statistics, memory statistics, etc.
>
> Is there a reason why you can't get this directly from the OS?

I would say that its more of a convenience to track the usage directly
from the database instead of setting up OS infrastructure to store it.

That said, it should be possible to directly do it from OS level. Can
we think of adding this to pgtop, though?

I am just musing here.

Regards,

Atri