Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Atri Sharma
Subject Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Atri Sharma's message of dom mar 18 01:05:23 -0300 2012:
>
>> I am understanding the scenario now. I will take a little of your time to
>> modify my original idea:
>>
>> The "middle layer" still exists, but NOT on the individual client side ,
>> rather , on the server side. That is, we maintain the middle layer on the
>> server, and it is same for all the users. We can mutate the ordering, and
>> changes would be reflected in all the clients, since they are all accessing
>> the same middle layer, present on the server.
>
> I will take a little of your time to ask whether you read the older
> threads on the topic -- the one that Andrew Dunstan linked to, and the
> older ones, to which that email links to?  This whole area has been
> extensively discussed before.
>
> In any case, I repeat what I said before: this is way too complex a
> topic for it to make a good GSoC project (unless you're already
> intimately familiar with the parser and executor code.)  You need to
> pick something smaller, more localized.
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>

------------------------------

Hi Alvaro,

Thanks for your reply.Yes,I have read the earlier posts.

I am familiar with database systems.I have worked on them before and I
have done designing of some very basic databases.

Please guide me to some area where I can research for some gsoc project.

Thanks,

Atri

--
Regards,