Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Atri Sharma
Subject Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
Jason Petersen wrote:
> Yes, we obviously want a virtual clock. Focusing on the use of gettimeofday seems silly to me: it was
> something quick for the prototype.
>
> The problem with the clocksweeps is they don’t actually track the progression of “time” within the
> PostgreSQL system.

Would it make sense to just cache the result of the latest gettimeofday() call
and use that as an approximation for wall time?
The busier the system is, the more accurate that should be.

That sounds...risky. How will the invalidation/updation of the cache work?

How will we track the time window in which the cached value is still valid and applicable?

My first thoughts only. I may be missing the point though.

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,