Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Atri Sharma
Subject Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Partitioned clock sweep strikes me as a bad idea... you could certainly get
> unlucky and end up with a lot of hot stuff in one partition.
>
> Another idea that'sbeen broughht up inthe past is to have something in the
> background keep a minimum number of buffers on the free list. That's how OS
> VM systems I'm familiar with work, so there's precedent for it.
>
> I recall there were at least some theoretical concerns about this, but I
> don't remember if anyone actually tested the idea.
One way to handle this could be to have dynamic membership of pages
in the partitions. Based on activity for a page, it could be moved to
another partition. In this manner, we *could* distribute the hot and
not so hot buffer pages and hence it could help.

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,