Apparent bug in WAL summarizer process (hung state) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Israel Barth Rubio
Subject Apparent bug in WAL summarizer process (hung state)
Date
Re: Apparent bug in WAL summarizer process (hung state)
Re: Apparent bug in WAL summarizer process (hung state)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

Hope you are doing well.

I've been playing a bit with the incremental backup feature which might come as
part of the 17 release, and I think I hit a possible bug in the WAL summarizer
process.

The issue that I face refers to the summarizer process getting into a hung state.
When the issue is triggered, it keeps in an infinite loop trying to process a WAL
file that no longer exists.  It apparently comes up only when I perform changes to
`wal_summarize` GUC and reload Postgres, while there is some load in Postgres
which makes it recycle WAL files.

I'm running Postgres 17 in a Rockylinux 9 VM. In order to have less WAL files
available in `pg_wal` and make it easier to reproduce the issue, I'm using a low
value for `max_wal_size` ('100MB'). You can find below the steps that I took to
reproduce this problem, assuming this small `max_wal_size`, and `summarize_wal`
initially enabled:

```bash
# Assume we initially have max_wal_size = '100MB' and summarize_wal = on

# Create a table of ~ 100MB
psql -c "CREATE TABLE test AS SELECT generate_series(1, 3000000)"

# Take a full backup
pg_basebackup -X none -c fast -P -D full_backup_1

# Recreate a table of ~ 100MB
psql -c "DROP TABLE test"
psql -c "CREATE TABLE test AS SELECT generate_series(1, 3000000)"

# Take an incremental backup
pg_basebackup -X none -c fast -P -D incremental_backup_1 --incremental full_backup_1/backup_manifest

# Disable summarize_wal
psql -c "ALTER SYSTEM SET summarize_wal TO off"
psql -c "SELECT pg_reload_conf()"

# Recreate a table of ~ 100MB
psql -c "DROP TABLE test"
psql -c "CREATE TABLE test AS SELECT generate_series(1, 3000000)"

# Re-enable sumarize_wal
psql -c "ALTER SYSTEM SET summarize_wal TO on"
psql -c "SELECT pg_reload_conf()"

# Take a full backup
pg_basebackup -X none -c fast -P -D full_backup_2

# Take an incremental backup
pg_basebackup -X none -c fast -P -D incremental_backup_2 --incremental full_backup_2/backup_manifest
```

I'm able to reproduce the issue most of the time when running these steps
manually. It's harder to reproduce if I attempt to run those commands as a
bash script.

This is the sample output of a run of those commands:

```console
(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ psql -c "CREATE TABLE test AS SELECT generate_series(1, 3000000)"
SELECT 3000000
(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ pg_basebackup -X none -c fast -P -D full_backup_1
NOTICE:  WAL archiving is not enabled; you must ensure that all required WAL segments are copied through other means to complete the backup
331785/331785 kB (100%), 1/1 tablespace
(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ psql -c "DROP TABLE test"
DROP TABLE
(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ pg_basebackup -X none -c fast -P -D incremental_backup_1 --incremental full_backup_1/backup_manifest
NOTICE:  WAL archiving is not enabled; you must ensure that all required WAL segments are copied through other means to complete the backup
111263/331720 kB (33%), 1/1 tablespace
(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ psql -c "ALTER SYSTEM SET summarize_wal TO off"
ALTER SYSTEM
(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ psql -c "SELECT pg_reload_conf()"
 pg_reload_conf
----------------
(1 row)

(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ psql -c "ALTER SYSTEM SET summarize_wal TO on"

(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ pg_basebackup -X none -c fast -P -D full_backup_2
NOTICE:  WAL archiving is not enabled; you must ensure that all required WAL segments are copied through other means to complete the backup
331734/331734 kB (100%), 1/1 tablespace
(barman) [postgres@barmandevhost ~]$ pg_basebackup -X none -c fast -P -D incremental_backup_2 --incremental full_backup_2/backup_manifest
WARNING:  still waiting for WAL summarization through 2/C1000028 after 10 seconds
DETAIL:  Summarization has reached 2/B30000D8 on disk and 2/B30000D8 in memory.
WARNING:  still waiting for WAL summarization through 2/C1000028 after 20 seconds
DETAIL:  Summarization has reached 2/B30000D8 on disk and 2/B30000D8 in memory.
WARNING:  still waiting for WAL summarization through 2/C1000028 after 30 seconds
DETAIL:  Summarization has reached 2/B30000D8 on disk and 2/B30000D8 in memory.
WARNING:  still waiting for WAL summarization through 2/C1000028 after 40 seconds
DETAIL:  Summarization has reached 2/B30000D8 on disk and 2/B30000D8 in memory.
WARNING:  still waiting for WAL summarization through 2/C1000028 after 50 seconds
DETAIL:  Summarization has reached 2/B30000D8 on disk and 2/B30000D8 in memory.
WARNING:  still waiting for WAL summarization through 2/C1000028 after 60 seconds
DETAIL:  Summarization has reached 2/B30000D8 on disk and 2/B30000D8 in memory.
WARNING:  aborting backup due to backend exiting before pg_backup_stop was called
pg_basebackup: error: could not initiate base backup: ERROR:  WAL summarization is not progressing
DETAIL:  Summarization is needed through 2/C1000028, but is stuck at 2/B30000D8 on disk and 2/B30000D8 in memory.
pg_basebackup: removing data directory "incremental_backup_2"
```

I took an `ls` output from `pg_wal` as well as `strace` and `gdb` from the WAL
summarizer process. I'm attaching that to this email hoping that can help
somehow.

FWIW, once I restart Postgres the WAL summarizer process gets back to normal
functioning. It seems to me there is some race condition between when a WAL file
is removed and when `summarize_wal` is re-enabled, causing the process to keep
looking for a WAL file that is the past.

Best regards,
Israel.