Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Arthur Silva
Subject Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
It won't be faster by any means, but it should definitely be incorporated if any format changes are made (like Tom already suggested).

I think it's important we gather at least 2 more things before making any calls:
* Josh tests w/ cache aware patch, which should confirm cache aware is indeed prefered
* Tests with toast hacked to use lz4 instead, which might ease any decisions

--
Arthur Silva

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Arthur Silva <arthurprs@gmail.com> wrote:
> The difference is small but I's definitely faster, which makes sense since
> cache line misses are probably slightly reduced.
> As in the previous runs, I ran the query a dozen times and took the average
> after excluding runs with a high deviation.

I'm not surprised that it hasn't beaten HEAD. I haven't studied the
problem in detail, but I don't think that the "cache awareness" of the
new revision is necessarily a distinct advantage.

--
Peter Geoghegan