Re: Parameter value from (mb/gb) to bytes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raul Kaubi
Subject Re: Parameter value from (mb/gb) to bytes
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

Thanks, you solution works for most of the databases. But now I noticed that we have single 9.5 version also.
And seems like this function pg_size_bytes came from 9.6

# psql -U postgres -Atc "select pg_size_bytes(current_setting('shared_buffers'));"
ERROR:  function pg_size_bytes(text) does not exist
LINE 1: select pg_size_bytes(current_setting('shared_buffers'));
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

Do you perhaps happen to know a way how to get this to work in 9.5 also..?

Thanks again.

Regards
Raul

Kontakt Magnus Hagander (<magnus@hagander.net>) kirjutas kuupäeval K, 14. oktoober 2020 kell 18:38:

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 5:23 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 5:10 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It's fairly annoying that this doesn't work:
>> regression=# select pg_size_bytes(setting||' '||unit) from pg_settings
>> where name = 'shared_buffers';

> Actually thinking though, surely *this* particular case can be spelled as:
> SELECT  pg_size_bytes(current_setting('shared_buffers'))

Yeah, that might be the most recommendable way.

> Or if doing it off pg_settings:
> SELECT setting::bigint * pg_size_bytes(unit) from pg_settings where
> name='shared_buffers'

No, because that will fail for any unit other than '8kB', eg

regression=# select pg_size_bytes('MB');
ERROR:  invalid size: "MB"

Right, but it would certainly work for *this* case using pg_asettings, is what I meant.

That said, I think it'd then actually be better to teach pg_size_bytes to know that "MB" is the same as "1MB" and parse that. That might be something that would actually be useful in other cases as well -- basically as a way to get conversion units in general. Basically if the string is "unit only" then consider that as "1 unit".