Re: Make query cancellation keys longer - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jacob Champion
Subject Re: Make query cancellation keys longer
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 5, 2024 at 9:21 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Wasn't this already addressed in v17, by
>
> Author: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
> 2024-03-12 [61461a300] libpq: Add encrypted and non-blocking query cancellation
>
> ?  Perhaps we need to run around and make sure none of our standard
> clients use the old API anymore, but the libpq infrastructure is
> there already.

Right. From a quick grep, it looks like we have seven binaries using
the signal-based cancel handler.

(For programs that only send a cancel request right before they break
the connection, it's probably not worth a huge amount of effort to
change it right away, but for psql in particular I think the status
quo is a little weird.)

Thanks,
--Jacob