Re: Regarding connection drops for every few minutes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Regarding connection drops for every few minutes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 3:22 AM, Durgamahesh Manne
<maheshpostgres9@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sir
>
> As per above discussion.....GOOD response from PostgreSQL
>
> i am very happy to work on PostgreSQL.Super fast response only from postgres
> team regarding i asked any question related to postgres
>
> regards
> mahesh
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 3:28 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/11/2016 1:50 AM, Durgamahesh Manne wrote:
>>
>>  Thanks for quick response .as per above conversation. for which parameter
>> i can comment to resolve the  issue & please specify the value of parameter
>> sir
>>
>> LOG:  could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
>>

>> your client is disconnecting without closing, thats all that error says,
>> it doesn't say why this is happening, and without knowing why, there's no
>> way to suggest a fix.
>>
>> I suppose you could try setting tcp_keepalives_idle, if your connections
>> are staying idle for a long time and your OS doesn't default to using
>> tcp_keepalive, this could help.
>>
>> I have no idea what a suitable value is, you didn't specify an operating
>> system, a postgres version, what API your client is using, or if this is a
>> localhost vs a LAN vs an internet connection, or really much of anything
>> else..
>>

>> btw, please reply to the list,  not to me privately, thank you.

You could also be getting bitten by a network timeout here. If a
connection sits idle for a while a firewall could be dropping the tcp
connection. You can often work around this with lower tcp_keepalive
timeout values.