Re: WAL Shipping and streaming replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: WAL Shipping and streaming replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Keith Fiske <keith@omniti.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM, CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com>
>> wrote:
>> > All;
>> >
>> > We have a 3 node replication setup:
>> >
>> > Master (node1) --> Cascading Replication Node (node2)  --> Downstream
>> > Standby node (node3)
>> >
>> > We will be deploying WAL archiving from the master for PITR backups and
>> > we'll use the staged WAL files in the recovery.conf files in case the
>> > standbys need to revert to log shipping.
>> >
>> > Question:  whats the best way to ensure consistency of WAL archiving in
>> > the
>> > case of changes  (failover, etc)? can we setup the cascade node to
>> > archive
>> > wals only if it's the master? is this a case where we should deploy
>> > repmgr?
>>
>> Look up WAL-E. It's works really well. We tried using OmniPITR and
>> it's buggy and doesn't seem to get fixed very quickly (if at all).
>>

>> --
>

> If you've encountered bugs with OmniPITR, please feel free to open an issue
> on Github. If you look at the issue and commit history you can see that we
> do indeed fix reported issues or respond to help people with problems they
> are having.
>
> https://github.com/omniti-labs/omnipitr

The issue was reported as omnipitr-cleanup is SLOOOW, so we run
purgewal by hand, because the cleanup is so slow it can't keep up. But
running it by hand is not supported.

We fixed the problem though, we wrote out own script and are now
moving to wal-e for all future stuff.