Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought
Date
In response to Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought  (Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought Four issues why "old elephants" lack performance: Explanation sought  (Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> wrote:

> So to me the bottom line is, that PG already has reduced overhead at
> least for issue #2 and perhaps for #4.
> Remain issues of in-memory optimization (#2) and replication (#3)
> together with High Availability to be investigated in PG.

Yeah, the real "problem" pg has to deal with is that it writes to
disk, and expects that to provide durability, while voltdb (Mike's db
project) writes to multiple machines in memory and expects that to be
durable.  No way a disk subsystem is gonna compete with an in memory
cluster for performance.