Re: Change server encoding after the fact - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Change server encoding after the fact
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Cody Caughlan <toolbag@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please see below.
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Cody Caughlan <toolbag@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks Scott. See below:
>> >
>> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Scott Marlowe
>> > <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>

>> > Wouldn't this only work if my template0 was UTF8 itself?
>> > => select datname, pg_encoding_to_char(encoding) from pg_database;
>> >        datname        | pg_encoding_to_char
>> > ----------------------+---------------------
>> >  template1            | SQL_ASCII
>> >  template0            | SQL_ASCII
>> >  postgres             | SQL_ASCII
>> >
>> > So it appears both template0 & template1 are SQL_ASCII, so how would
>> > creating from a new DB from template0 be any different than template1?
>>
>> Well, let's try, shall we?  From a freshly created cluster on my
>> laptop, running 8.4:
>>
>> smarlowe=# select datname, pg_encoding_to_char(encoding) from pg_database;
>>  datname  | pg_encoding_to_char
>> -----------+---------------------
>>  template1 | SQL_ASCII
>>  template0 | SQL_ASCII
>>  postgres  | SQL_ASCII
>>  smarlowe  | SQL_ASCII
>> (4 rows)
>>
>> smarlowe=# create database j template template0 encoding 'UTF8';
>> CREATE DATABASE
>>
>> Seems to work.
>>
>> P.s. I'm not sure why it works, I just know that it does. :)
>>

> Ok, I see what you mean. This would create a new DB with the proper
> encoding. Which is "fine", and probably what I will do. I guess I see an
> ideal scenario being one where we permanently convert the template encoding
> to UTF8 so going forward I dont have to worry about forgetting to adding the
> encoding= 'UTF8' for every new DB I create.

Ah ok.  The way I fix that is this:

update pg_database set datistemplate = false where datname='template1';
drop database template1;
create database template1 template template0 encoding 'UTF8';

But your way would likely work too.

>> I think you got it backwards, the -f should be somthing other than
>> utf-8 right?  That's what the -t should be right?  Try iconv without a
>> -f switch and a -t of utf-8 and see what happens...
>
> You're right, I had -f when I needed -t. I tried it again with the same
> error:
> $ iconv -t utf-8 foo.sql > utf.sql
> iconv: illegal input sequence at position 2512661

Any idea waht the actual encoding of your source database is?
SQL_ASCII is basically not really ascii, more like anything goes.