Re: Server hitting 100% CPU usage, system comes to a crawl. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Server hitting 100% CPU usage, system comes to a crawl.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, a few points.  1: You've got a zombie process.  Find out what's
>
> To expand on the zombie thing, it's quite possible that you're
> managing to make a pg backend process crashout, which would cause the
> db to restart midday, which is bad (TM) since that dumps all of shared
> buffers and forces all clients to reconnect.  So look through the
> system logs for segmentation faults, etc.

One last thing, you should upgrade to the latest 8.3 version to see if
that helps.  There was a bug fix around 8.3.13 or so that stopped
postgresql from restarting due to a simple data corruption issue that
should have only resulted in an error message not a restart of the db.
 I know, cause I found it. :)  Thanks to the pg devs for fixing it.