Re: How to keep queries low latency as concurrency increases - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: How to keep queries low latency as concurrency increases
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> On 25.11.2012 18:30, Catalin Iacob wrote:
>>
>> So it seems we're just doing too many connections and too many
>> queries. Each page view from a user translates to multiple requests to
>> the application server and each of those translates to a connection
>> and at least a few queries (which are done in middleware and therefore
>> happen for each and every query). One pgbouncer can handle lots of
>> concurrent idle connections and lots of queries/second but our 9000
>> queries/second to seem push it too much. The longer term solution for
>> us would probably be to do less connections (by doing less Django
>> requests for a page) and less queries, before our deadline we were
>> just searching for a short term solution to handle an expected traffic
>> spike.
>

> The typical solution to that is caching, see
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/topics/cache/.

The first caching solution they recommend is memcached, which I too
highly recommend.  Put a single instance on each server in your farm
give it 1G in each place and go to town. You can get MASSIVE
performance boosts from memcache.