Re: [ADMIN] Database goes in recovery mode - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Database goes in recovery mode
Date
List pgsql-admin
Please reply all to keep the list updated...

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:07 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Ashok Kumar Tiwari
<ashokt@ohumhealthcare.com> wrote:

> Hello team,
>
> My database goes in recovery mode every day three to four time , i am not able to find the reason, db basic configuration is max_connection = 1000 , db size 100GB and configure barman for backup. please help me.

Check your server logs for the out of memory killer. With max conns of
1000 it's quite possible your machine is running out of memory.

Also please post any changed values in postgresql.conf

i found in my db log file

2017-10-11 18:35:20.769 IST > LOG:  checkpointer process (PID 31936) was terminated by signal 9: Killed
< 2017-10-11 18:35:20.769 IST > LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

is this is out of memory?
my server have 8 GB ram

Very likely. Look around in the /var/log/messages around the same time for mention of the Out Of Memory killer (aka OOM).  You're probably going to need to reduce max connections and then add something like pgbouncer or pgpool to reduce 1,000 outside connections down to something like 10 or 20 or so.